Reasons for workplace drug tests may include:
Pre-employment, Random, Post accident, Reasonable Cause, Other:
- Return to Duty
- Return to Work Testing
- Voluntary Testing
Reasonable Cause Testing is Designed to:
Provide management with a tool (in conjunction with supervisor training on the signs and symptoms of drug use), Identify drug-affected employees who may pose a danger to themselves and others in their job performance.
Decision to Test
- Condition arises regarding their safety or productivity
- Supervisors must then decide as to whether there is reasonable cause to believe an employee is using or has used a prohibited drug.
- Verify the reasonable cause decision.
- Anonymous tips must be taken seriously but should not be the sole reason to initiate a request for a specimen.
- Hearsay is not an acceptable basis to warrant a test